Thursday, May 01, 2008

Kamikaze bird

The children are finishing up lunch and I was reading Prince Caspian to them (15 more days until the movie is out!) when we heard this amazingly loud thud from the laundry room. Our first thought was the leek and eggplant seedlings that we have coming up in a planter there but I couldn't see how that could fall off the dryer especially since neither the washer or dryer were even running.

We searched the room looking for something that could make a big noise when I happened to look outside and see a bird on the ground. It apparently flew full force into the house and broke its neck. It was a beautiful bird. Nathan looked it up and found out that it was a Ruffed Grouse. Now I know that if I were a perfect homeschooling mom, we would dissect the bird and reconstruct the skeleton. But shucks, we're studying astronomy now and biology was last year.

By the way, the bird was flying so fast that it cracked our siding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did see a thing recently on how to bleach and reassemble a chicken. I'm not sure I would've even boxed and photographed it, though, so you've got me beat on the homeschool momliness. :)

Technoprairie said...

Well it was such a pretty bird and we thought that my dh might want to look at it. Instead he said that we should have eaten it! But it is currently returning to the dust from whence it came.