Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Blooming Trees

It is beautiful up here. Our weeping cherry is in perfect form.

Our apple trees are in bloom and the bees are a-buzzing like crazy. We should get a bumper apple crop this year.


While I was photographing the blossoms, something bigger than a bee buzzed past. At first I thought it was a hummingbird. Now I think it is some kind of moth. I've never seen it before. This is the best picture I got of it. It flew around like a hummingbird and was hard to capture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen those occasionally - once or twice a year - around our butterfly bush. I believe it is a Clearwing Hummingbird Moth although originally we called them "Lobster bugs" because of their body/tail reminding me of a lobster tail in it's shape.

Technoprairie said...

I knew you would know what it was! And Lobster bug is a great name for them. They do look like flying lobsters.

Mike Bailey said...

i'm thinking mutant cicada.