Monday, May 19, 2008

Horseradish, anyone?

We moved the horseradish this Sunday to a better location and in the process, we decided to harvest some. Here's one plant. Impressive, isn't it?

This is the amount that my dh decided to process.

First he washed the roots.

Then he peeled them. Notice that he is outside on our porch. Even peeling this stuff sent up waves of horseradish fumes.

He cut it up into little pieces and combined it with water, vinegar, a clove of garlic, and a pinch of salt. Then he used our newly christened "horseradish blender".

Finally, he strained it. It turned out to be delicious. It had a hot crisp taste. I can't wait to try it in cocktail sauce with shrimp.

7 comments:

Jeannette said...

Very interesting! I grew up on home style horseradish (made by a local farmer), and I love it..especially on prime rib. ;)

Jeannette said...

Oh, and I like to use a little horseradish in my potato salad and deviled eggs...yum!

Technoprairie said...

I never thought of using horseradish in deviled eggs but that sounds great!

Anonymous said...

wow, nice! So is that now a dedicated horseradish blender?

Technoprairie said...

Yes, it is a dedicated horseradish blender. I've read that you can't quite get the horseradish taste out of a blender once it is in. So the expert I was reading said to have one horseradish blender and one regular blender. And since my old blender wasn't working all that well, I donated it to the horseradish cause and bought myself another blender.

Anonymous said...

we bought some horseradish & stone ground mustard once - another recipe (not that I have one) you could play with if you're interested :-)

Mike Bailey said...

well....wow. that's all i can say.

wow.

he's da man.