Sunday, May 04, 2008

Enjoying Sunday in the Woods

We had a sunny, cool Sunday today. My grape hyaciths are all a-bloom.

My dh helped Aaron hang his bird feeder that he made in woodworking class this year.

The children and I took a walk in the woods this afternoon. Of course, the boys had to bring along sticks which were guns. They were defending the woods against spies I think.

One of the reasons for the walk, besides enjoying the beautiful day and looking for new wildflowers, was to collect violets. I'm going to try to make violet jelly from a recipe a friend gave to me last year. We collected 2 cups of violets. That took us quite a while. I poured boiling water over the violets and they will steep for a couple of days in the refrigerator.

I got a good picture of our Marsh Marigolds. They only bloom for about a week or so and then they are gone.

One of our many fiddlehead ferns coming up.

Back on the homestead, our cherry trees are in full bloom. We saw a bunch of bees swarming over them so we are hopeful of a good cherry harvest.

Today I made a pork stirfry with our asparagus and some carrots. It looked so pretty that I took a picture of our leftovers.

My dh was able to get out his tractor and mow today. So the homestead looks very good right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...that's so ironic! Bianca went out by our creek yesterday and picked two cups of wild violets for us to make violet jelly too! Ours is steeping in the fridge also. I was somewhat surprised to see that the "violet tea" is green right now. I wonder if the lemon and pectin will turn it pinkish later? Is yours green too?

Betsy

Technoprairie said...

Ours is a light purple but I haven't got it in the fridge yet. It is still warm from the boiling water.

I doubt the lemon and/or pectin will turn it pinkish. It may just be light green jelly. Did you leave the leaves or stems on? We picked only the flowers.

Anonymous said...

We picked only the flowers also. It has now changed from green to a beautiful blue color. We'll see how the final product turns out!

Betsy