Sunday, April 20, 2008

Peas and Potatoes

My dh was able to use the field cultivator that has sat for many a year on his concrete shed pad. He's using it to break up the clods on the south part of the garden. Last year was the first year for this part of the garden and since he didn't have a tractor at that time, we couldn't cultivate it. But this year, we do! We are going to be using this area for vine plants again so we'll till it just before we plant.


We did plant potatoes this afternoon. So now we have the makings for peas and potatoes. In about 7-8 weeks. After lots of weeding and watering. But it is worth it.

We try not to do gardening work on Sundays but up north, you have to take advantage of every warm day of the growing season. You don't get the chance to make up a week of warm weather up here in the tundra.

The warm weather made my daffodils come out in all their glory today.

The chickens enjoyed the day as well. Here two of them are taking a dust bath.

They use their claws to scratch and I finally caught one on film scratching. This is Bearded Lady again. Inside the fence today.

This is a picture of Blackie, Nathan's favorite.

Aaron and Deborah enjoyed Sunday afternoon inside playing with Playdough and making each other laugh.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

alright, I have to admit ... i thought you were joking about this being tundra, but I couldn't remember from (what, Fourth Grade, maybe?) what biome we were in and had to look it up. But now I know and feel smart. So your blog prompted me to learn today. :-)

Technoprairie said...

We often joke about "living on the tundra" since this climate is so different from Illinois or Missouri. My brother-in-law once called our place "Little Norway". Sometimes it feels like that to us.

Anonymous said...

Isn't spring nice? Just thought i'd add a little side note- my dad thought the abbreviation dh was pretty sweet, so he modified it. He now calls my mom his hb - hot babe ;)

Samwise cammgee