Saturday, April 05, 2008

Happy Birthday, Deborah!

Deborah turned 6 on Friday. We started the day out with the traditional chocolate chip pancakes.

Since we were to help a church family move on Friday night, we gave Deborah a few presents and then went to help move. Deb's party had to wait until the next day.

So Saturday morning, we started making the cake. Deborah wanted a Barbie cake. So I remembered that my big 2 quart glass bowl could be used to make a dome for Barbie's skirt. Deborah helped me make the homemade chocolate cake.

It turns out that homemade chocolate cake that is supposed to be cooked in 9" pans doesn't rise very well in a 2 quart glass bowl. It was a very small skirt for a Barbie cake.

I had time so I made a box cake and put it in two 9" cake pans. Note for next time: forget the homemade cake and stick with the box cake. I put the two round cakes under the dome cake and cut them to the shape of the skirt. Then I cut a hole in the cake and put the Barbie in (Ariel actually). Then I proceeded to make small flower like things using my frosting decorator kit. Deborah told me to make ovals on her skirt. I tried to talk her into the Disney-like princess dresses but she was adamant about having ovals. So she got ovals.

We had another family over for cake and ice cream. Deborah got the present she's been wishing for - a real tea set.

And she got Croc like shoes.

It was a good birthday. And the birthday girl didn't cry at all which makes the day a total success!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday - to BOTH of you -
what a fun cake. I made a Barbie cake once and had similar issues with the 2 quart bowl. What an excellent solution you came up with!

Anonymous said...

It looks like she liked her book. Glad it was a great day.

Anonymous said...

Where did she get the way cute cape? I want to be fasionable like her!!

Samwise_cammgee

Technoprairie said...

You have to ask your Aunt Liz for one for Christmas.