Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Iron Chef Challenge

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I gave my dh an Iron Chef Challenge. Make three dishes out of the mystery ingredient.

And the Mystery Ingredient is...
Potatoes!
Everyone else had a cold so Stephen was the sous chef.

My dh actually ended up making 4 dishes. His first course was French Potato Salad with Argula, Roquefort, and Walnuts.

The main course consisted of two potato dishes. First was Jansson's Temptation. It is a Scandinavian dish consisting of onions, potatoes, anchovies, and cream. (the dish is on the right in the picture)

The second dish was a pork dish served on a Grated Potato Pancake. First he had to make a pancake and find a flat surface to flip it onto.

The final dish - Pork Chops with Sauteed Apples and Cider Cream Sauce served on the Grated Potato Pancake.

And for dessert??? A Baked Potato??

Yes, my dh had had one of these back in Houston years ago. He was able to recreate it with a few modifications of his own. First he shaped vanilla ice cream in the shape of a potato. He froze it as hard as it was freeze. Then he rolled it in cocoa powder, split it and put in the "butter" (yellow frosting frozen in blocks) and the "sour cream" (whipped cream). Finally he put some sugared rosemary for the chives. The children were entranced by their "baked potatoes".

7 comments:

Kim said...

Very fun! How long did he have between the "reveal" and the meal? This looks like it required some forethought and planning! I love the baked potato and will save that in my brain (if my brain functions) for our April Fool's Day dinner.

Technoprairie said...

I gave him a week to figure out what he wanted to do. The reveal was just for the fun of it on the blog!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks yummy! I don't think I've ever met anyone who cooks with anchovies...do you all like them?

That baked potato dessert is so clever. I thought of Kim right away, and those April Fool's meals she makes! I'm assuming the cocoa powder is unsweetened...how does that taste? Usually when I use it I add a lot of sugar.

~ Betsy

Technoprairie said...

It was unsweetened but didn't taste bitter due to all the sugar in the ice cream. I thought it was quite good.

Technoprairie said...

We love anchovies. In things like spaghetti sauce, not just by themselves. I make a great spaghetti sauce with tomatoes and capers and anchovies. Yum!

Kim, again said...

I love the idea of this meal. Did you just have a lot of potatoes to use up, or a great deal on them, or how did you pick the challenge? Maybe in a few years I'll do this.

I like that I always see Betsy here at your blog. :-)

I'm afraid of anchovies.

Technoprairie said...

We harvested a lot of potatoes and some don't keep as well as others. The Yukons keep very well but the Red Norlands start sprouting and getting wrinkly. So I was on a kick to get as many potatoes eaten as possible as quickly as possible.