Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Grandparents are Here!

The week before Christmas my parents arrived for a visit. They were great help to me especially in getting everything done before Christmas and before my sister's family came to visit.

One of the first things we did was pick out our tree. My dh found a better place to put the tree this year. I think this is our biggest one ever.

We picked it out on Sunday and decorated on Monday. First we decided to have fun and put all of the children's Bionicles on it. It was very funny until the tree fell over!

Then followed an hour of fussing with the tree with my dad. My dh finally suggested putting some concrete blocks leaning against the stand in the back and that seemed to do the trick. But I still didn't put the most valuable and most fragile ornaments on the tree this year.

The tree was so tall I had to put the angel on with the barbeque tongs and a ladder.

Nathan set up the electric train and a little town around the base of the tree.

Dad helped Nathan put out the outside lights as well.

And of course, we had cookies to make! I had made the dough before and we cooked all of them in one day. I don't think I'll do that again.

Note: The rubbery chicken on Stephen's shoulder is this year's fun present. You can fling it like a slingshot and it crows when it lands.




Besides all the Christmas activities, we also had time for playing games with Grandma and Grandpa while I shopped for the last gifts and wrapped them all.


4 comments:

Kim said...

The Bionicle tree is fun!

So why didn't you like baking all the cookies on one day? Was it just too many? It sounds like a good idea.

Technoprairie said...

I was very tired at the end of the day (all that standing I guess). And it made my house hot. Hours of the oven on got the temp up to about 73 degrees.

I guess it also didn't make it as much fun. It was more like "get this batch done so we can get the next one in the oven, hurry, hurry". Not very much into the Christmas spirit if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Do you buy your trees, or cut down your own?

The cookies looked beautiful. We baked a ton, but spread it out over a couple of weeks. I agree--it's more relaxing this way.

I love seeing Kim here too!:-)

~ Betsy

Technoprairie said...

We have a friend that has let us cut down a tree off of his property for the last 20 years. He has a lot of trees and needs to thin them every year. So we get a tree and his family get trees and his church gets a tree off of his property every year.