Saturday, March 28, 2009

Happy Belated St. Pats Day!

We have celebrated St Pats day with some part Irish friends of ours for the last three years.   This year, neither family was available on the real day so we celebrated a week later.   I decided that I was going to corn my own beef.   It doesn't sound as hard as you think.   You take briskets, punch some holes in them, and then rub them with a salt and herb mixture.   Then you put a pan on top of them and press them down.   You refrigerate them for 5-7 days, flipping them once a day.

It turned out very tasty.   A little bit saltier than the store corned beef.   I think I didn't rinse the rub off enough.   But it did make the vegetables very tasty.   And it didn't look pink.   I'm looking forward to making corned beef hash with it.

For dessert I made an Irish Apple Cake which tasted wonderful.   Especially with cream poured over it!

And we all were around one table, too.   You couldn't ask for a more enjoyable evening.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The meat looks great. What kind of spices do you put in it?

~ Betsy

Technoprairie said...

Salt, peppercorns, allspice, paprika, bay leaves, and thyme.