Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Bountiful: adj. plentiful; abundant

I haven't been blogging lately because I've been processing food. Last week and this week are some of the big weeks in the garden. The green beans are still being picked every other day and we have a ton of squash and corn. The tomatoes are just starting to ripen too.

We've had some great corn this year. Just look at those ears. Full to the end and absolutely wonderful!

I canned some beets this year in hopes that they will make good beet salads in the winter.

My triple threat. At least I hope so. I'm submitting these jars in the county fair next week. The jar on the left has blackberry jelly, the middle jar is relish, and the jar on the right is blueberry jam.

And last but certainly not least is the 100th zucchini I've picked from our three plants.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

100 zucchini from just 3 plants? That seems amazing! Did you really count each one?

Technoprairie said...

Yes, I really counted each one. I wanted to see how many I picked this year. I have a tally sheet on the refrig and I just make a tally mark for each zucchini that I brought into the house and washed.

When I say three plants, I really meant three hills of zucchini. Each hill has two plants. So it is really 6 plants.

Anonymous said...

What is your favorite way to eat that zucchini? Was that corn the Ruby Red one you blogged about? And is that sweet pickle relish or some other kind?

I think the word "bountiful" in the dictionary needs to have a picture of your garden next to it. :-)

Betsy

LTL said...

Looks like you've been busy ! I'm sure you will do great at the county fair. How fun ! Are the kids entering anything like last year ? Summer is a fun time, isn't it ?

-Laurie

Technoprairie said...

Betsy - That corn is Northern Xtra Sweet. The Ruby Queen corn isn't quite ready yet. It is supposed to have red kernels. I'll definitely be posting pics of that.

And yes, that is sweet pickle relish.

We like zucchini grilled on the charcoal grill, sauteed with onions, carrots and summer squash, raw with dip or in pasta salads, and stir fried. Good thing we like it so many ways since we get so much!

Mike Bailey said...

See? Those zucchini plants are designed (by the pod people aliens) to take over the world. I hope you destroy the vines after you've picked your 934th zucchini.

Ahhh...so anonymous is Betsy!! Just as I guessed. (No, I didn't. I don't think I know any of your blog--or zucchini--enthusiasts.)

I will say this: very nice photos. Nowadays you can't help yourself, can you, taking all those artsy photos? It's a sickness.