Thursday, July 03, 2008

A Perfect Day in the Garden

It was an absolutely gorgeous day today. Warm, but not too hot. Sunny and a nice breeze. A day where it was a pleasure to work outside. And we certainly did work. The pea tsunami hasn't hit yet, but there are signs that it will hit either tomorrow or Saturday. I picked about 3 pounds of peas today.


My herb garden is pretty with the orange day lilies and the purple butterfly bush. I'm moving the daylilies after they bloom because they are starting to take over the herb garden and I want some more room for my herbs.


I didn't see any butterflies on my butterfly bush, but I did see a lot of bees.

Deb's hollyhocks are starting to bloom. This year, we have three colors: pink, purple, and yellow.

This is the week of the cherries. These are sour cherries, just right for pies.

In the sun, the ripe cherries look like rubies.

We picked 2 cups yesterday which was enough to make a cherry custard pie.

And today we ate our first zucchini!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice - productive! - garden. I didn't realize sour cherries ripened so early compared to other cherries. Although we have some little wild cherry bushes in our yard, and they are ripening about now, too.

I think your butterfly bush must be a different variety than the two I have, both the blossom structure and it 'bushy factor' look somewhat different!

Mike Bailey said...

you and your garden. my envy is running pretty pretty high. unfortunately, it's kept in check by the awful soil of your yard, its small size, and my overall laziness. so the ratio of garden envy: laziness isn't high enough for me to do anything about it.

loved the picture of the cherries against the green. i'm so very grateful that we were created in a beautiful world, and one in which we were designed to appreciate it.

when i was a boy i would occasionally listen to my sony walkman in bed. i remember one time i was listening to Mozart's 39th symphony. (remember how nerdy i was even then?) after a while i turned it off and put it away. but then as i closed my eyes in the dark, i heard the entire symphony in my head just as vividly, or very nearly so, as if i were listening to it. every violin. every crescendo. and i remember thinking how anything could be so beautiful.

last night juli and i were listening to renee fleming's arias in the dark, and the same feeling came over me. how beautiful the world can be if we are open to its beauty.

oh, your bumblee photo is fabulous. whether it's your first or fifty-fifth, no reason for apologies there.

Mike Bailey said...

umm....i see a zucchini. please don't read my blog for another week or so.

trust me.