Sunday, March 09, 2008

Birthday pics

It was my dh's birthday on Saturday but he was gone on a business trip. So we celebrated today. (He's smiling at getting a gift of measuring spoon measuring a dash, a nip, a pinch, and a smidgen).

The big gift was a collaboration between the children, my parents and myself. It started with a note in the newspaper wrapped present that led my dh on a scavenger hunt for his gift.

The boys made the signs in their woodworking class, my dad painted the letters, and I glued and pinned them in place. We'll varnish them when it gets warm enough in the garage. For those who haven't been in our woods, we have a fair amount of trails. Over the years, we've found names for all of the main trails and the side trails. Some of the names are Main Trail (for the main way back into the woods), Hemlock Trail (named for a large grove of hemlocks along that trail), Blackberry Alley and Raspberry Lane (named for their fruit along the trails), and Venison Junction (where three trails meet and where my dh has successfully brought down 4 deer). Scout Trail is a trail that was originally cut for the boys to pretend that they were scouts (like for Lewis and Clark) looking for paths in the woods. My dh will get to mount these in the spring.

We ended the celebration with my dh's favorite cake - Three layer German Chocolate Cake!

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

Hey! I didn't see any of that German chocolate cake at yesterday's potluck! ;)

Technoprairie said...

Sorry! You have to be a blood relative to get any of THAT cake. I have never tried, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't even take a German Chocolate Cake out of my house.

Anonymous said...

Oh Belated happy birthday to your dh!

those signs turned out really well, very very nice work! And I like the measuring spoons, too, LOL