Thursday, January 24, 2008

Fire and Ice

My mom sent me an article about a man who lives in Alaska and who makes ice luminaries. So I had to try it out. I put about an inch of water in some containers and let it freeze on the back porch. Then I put a smaller cup into the container and poured water around it. After two days, I brought them inside and let them thaw until I could get them out of the container. Here's what they looked like with the tea candles in them with the kitchen lights on.

Here's what they looked like with the lights off. Pretty cool! Mike, I thought of you and all the nifty pictures you would have taken. Maybe I'll try some artsy pictures with the next batch.

It was hard to get a good picture of what they looked like outside plus it was about 16 degrees and I was cold but here is a slightly blurry picture of them on the front porch welcoming my dh back from his business trip to Florida.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's neat! And they're very pretty!
have you read about that hotel all built out of ice?
you can work your way up to a hotel, LOL

Anonymous said...

how long did they last?

Technoprairie said...

That night they lasted until the tea light burned out. I could have put another candle in them for the next couple of nights.

Mike Bailey said...

nice