Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Artisan Bread at home

I tried this "Almost No-Knead Bread" recipe from Cooks Illustrated. It worked like a charm. Except for the first 10 minutes or so of cooking when the kitchen smelled like hot cast iron. But the result was definitely worth it.

The crust was crisp and the inside moist and chewy. And it did take hardly any kneading. You mixed it in a bowl and let it sit overnight. Then you kneaded it about 10 times and let it rise. The trick to making it look like bakery bread is to bake it in a hot Dutch oven.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks beautiful. between you and my blogging friend Rosanne, I might have to bake some bread today!

Technoprairie said...

Well, this is an overnight bread so you really have to get your hankering 24 hours before you want to eat it!

Anonymous said...

The bread looks delicious...but I'm here to make a completely unrelated comment. After reading about your all-day tapas preparation and meal, I'm thinking to myself, your family must really, really like to cook. But then I happened to look over at your "labels" for your posts, and while several of the labels had lots of posts, the one that tops them ALL is "Family Fun" with a whopping 47 entries! I am so impressed, and must really commend you on making this a priority, my friend. I know that you try to do all things in an excellent way, and that your classical approach to homeschooling is not exactly the easiest road to take, so seeing you nevertheless make lots of time for your family is truly inspiring. Thanks for setting an encouraging example!

Betsy

Anonymous said...

Yummers.