Friday, November 16, 2007

Success!

Hunting season is upon us. Opening day was Thursday. My dh and Stephen went out in the morning and saw a couple of deer but nothing worth taking. Today Nathan went out with his dad and about 10 am, they came back to the house looking tired. When I asked him how the hunting was, my dh said, "Not too good. Just a 5 point." They sure fooled us. By his face, I thought he hadn't gotten anything. He got a great deer. We went out in the woods to see it. My dh decided to let us track it just like Nathan and he did. So here he is showing us where the buck was standing when he shot it.

At first he didn't think that he had gotten it. The buck had bounded away once the shot went off. They decided to track it and saw that it was bleeding.

When Nathan saw some frothy blood, they began to hope that the shot might have been in the lungs.

They did find it close to the border of our property. It was a big 5 point buck, probably a 2 or 3 year old.

Here are the stats: my dh used a 30-30 at 60 yards. The shot hit the lungs and the heart and they still had to track it about 100 yards. My dh measured it's girth and according to the girth chart, this buck weighs 205 pounds!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I know we've been given dominion over all the earth, etc., etc...and I'm not opposed to responsible hunting. But why is it that it still hurts to look at his poor little face? I think it means I'd make a lousy hunter...

Betsy

Technoprairie said...

It sorta helps when you know that he's probably one of the deer that has been munching on your new fruit trees so much that they died last winter and you had to replant them.

Anonymous said...

lol! Yes, that probably would help...

Anonymous said...

boy am I glad I didn't marry a hunter, LOL!

But good work! He must be an excellent shot to hit the heart/lungs.

Mike Bailey said...

i'm not a hunter either, but you gotta give props to the stud who shot it. amazing shot, K's dh.

by the way, i liked betsy's, "the earth, etc., etc...." i suppose it made me smile because it's how i might have written it.

i'm on board with her: i'm a little torn between the head and the heart on this one. still, i can't remember the last time i passed on a good steak or hamburger.