Saturday, August 11, 2007

"I will throw open the storehouses of heaven"

We have received the blessings of reaping what we sowed. This is today's take, minus 3 pounds of green beans and the rest of the first planting of Northern Xtra Sweet corn.

Here's the last of the first planting of the Northern. I froze this corn.

This is the corn we had for lunch - Illini Xtra Sweet. Aren't they beautiful? And they tasted as good as they look.

After lunch, I asked my dh to pick all the corn that was currently ripe. That turned out to be another 2 dozen of the 2nd planting of the Northern corn and 5 dozen of the Illini. The children helped to shuck it and I cut it off the cob and prepped it for the freezer. Half of our winter's worth of corn is already in the freezer.

And on top of all the other vegetable picking, cleaning, pickling, eating, and cooking, I tried something new this year. Peach pit jelly. A friend from church gave me the recipe. You boil the skins and pits in water, strain off the skins and pits, and combine the juice with sugar and pectin. It made a beautiful peach jelly.

And where did all those peach pits come from? My dh bought me a bushel of peaches at the Farmer's Market on Wednesday. On Friday I canned some and froze some. They were gorgeous! Probably the best peaches I have seen in years.

Here is my new sink full of peaches!

And the finished product!




No comments: