Saturday, May 16, 2009

I'm My Own Grandma

I have some yarn covered hangers that my grandmother made me.   I really like them, especially for my dresses.   But some were finally falling apart and I needed more anyway.   Where could I go to find more?   Since I didn't think of them when my grandmother was alive to teach me, I turned to the internet and found out how to make them.   Here is my first one.

You basically take two hangers and cover them with yarn in a series of slip knots.

But they didn't look quite like Grandmother's.   I looked closer at hers and found out that she put 4 knots of one color before going to 4 knots of the second color.   

By using this pattern and scrunching the yarn up close, it makes the hanger look like it is covered with little colored triangles.

So now I have yet another thing to do with my hands while I'm watching a movie or waiting for baseball practice to be over. The children are quite fascinated by the whole process.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I had some hangers like that once, only mine were just ... from ... somewhere. No idea where. I never thought of anyone sitting and making them. They just were. :-)

Mine weren't covered at the hook, though, just the 'body' ... I like that green and blue!