Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lunar Eclipse

For once, we had clear skies for a big sky event. The children and I observed the start of the eclipse.

Then we went back inside for a while. Deb gave up interest and went to bed (it was about 9:30 pm at the time). The boys and I sat in the van and watched the moom being swallowed up by the shadow of the earth.

It was bitter cold (3 degrees!) but we stayed in the van until the moon was totally eclipsed. I couldn't get any pictures of that because there wasn't enough light in the sky for the camera to focus on.

We also saw Saturn very briefly. I don't seem to have the golden touch that my dh has with the telescope and I kept losing it. But I did see enough one time to see the rings and verify it as Saturn. But it was so cold, we soon gave up and came inside for hot chocolate. The moon is starting to come from behind the earth, but I am too cold to go back out and take any more pictures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pictures, Karen! Did you use a tripod? It sure was bitterly cold! I didn't think of sitting in the car to watch!! We were just standing in the snow!

Technoprairie said...

I didn't use a tripod. I just leaned against the house. I thought about it later when the moon was almost completely covered, but didn't get out of the warm van to go get it.

The van idea by the way was my dh's idea. He was watching the eclipse in 78 degree weather so he felt sorry for us.

Anonymous said...

We had a clear view right outside our bedroom window, so we were comfortably warm. I remember watching one just last August. I was surprised that another opportunity came up so quickly. Is it unusual to have these several times a year?

Betsy

Technoprairie said...

I think that it is unusual to have so many visible to the United States in one year.

Mike Bailey said...

great photos, technoprairie. i envy them.

Technoprairie said...

Thanks so much!