Monday, December 31, 2007

A Three Course Italian Meal (without a tomato in sight)

Last night, my dh made me a wonderful three course Italian meal with absolutely no tomatoes in sight. The first course was a Spicy Eggplant Antipasto. It had a wonderful earthly type taste and if I hadn't seen the eggplant in the saucepan, I would have thought this dish was made of mushrooms.

Second course was Pasta with Mussels and Chorizo. My dh had remembered that I had been wishing for mussels. It was delicious.

The last course was a baken polenta cake. It was slightly sweet with a lemony taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! So technoprairie isn't the ONLY gourmet cook in the house! With the two of you in the kitchen, your kids will have an amazing culinary example to live up to someday.

The foods your dh prepared remind me of the cuisine my hubby described when he visited northern Italy this year. He said it was nothing like the typical Italian foods we're familiar with, but it was delicious. He bought me a cookbook, "Italianissimo" with over 600 recipes from every region of Italy, and keeps hinting about how GOOD it would taste.

What is the lovely white stencil-thing on top of the polenta cake?

Enjoy your quiet New Year's Eve at home! We're enjoying that, too--dinner-and-a-movie in the living room with the kids. After they go to bed, we will watch "One Night with the King" and toast in the New Year quietly. We always sleep in front of the fire on New Year's Eve...one of our longstanding traditions.

Happy New Year! ~ Betsy

Technoprairie said...

The white pattern was made by using a cake stencil that fits over the top of the cake. Then you sift powdered sugar over the cake and lift up the stencil carefully.

We loved the food in Italy. Everywhere we went, no matter how dumpy the place looked, had wonderful food. I'd go back to Italy in a moment.