Monday, September 10, 2007

What you do if you don't watch TV

We've had a good first week of school. I've taught half days last week and this week, we'll jump into a little bit longer day. This weekend I made two kinds of jelly. The one on the right is corn cob jelly. I got the recipe from my friend Betsy and since I also picked the last of the sweet corn (sigh), I decided to make a small batch to see what it was like. It turned out pretty good. There isn't a lot of flavor in it. It is supposed to taste like apple jelly. But it is pretty.

The one on the left is Niagra grape jelly. It smells and tastes like the Concord grape jelly but it is a lovely yellow color.

And the children were in building mode this week. When they weren't in school, Deb and Aaron made this elaborate system of roads and bridges with the erector set boards in the basement.

Then since the weather was so good this weekend, I shooed them outside. They made an extensive road and city system with chalk and their matchbox cars. They must have worked on it for 4 or 5 hours on Saturday.

This is Deb with her "country house".

This is Aaron's "main house".

Stephen joined them after a while. At the end of the day Saturday, the front concrete pad looked like this! Complete with swimming pools with diving boards, a hospital, a fire department, a police station, a bank, a pizzeria, a library, a botanical garden, an electronics store, and a race track.

They had so much fun that they worked on it all Sunday afternoon as well and filled the back concrete pad. The children called it Carville.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to try the corn cob jelly. Did you use the red corn cobs the recipe called for, or some other kind? Hopefully, the violet jelly in the spring will have more flavor.

Your kids are delightfully creative. They'd probably enjoy playing with mine. Our basement has been transformed into the White House this week, complete with solarium, oval office, receiving area, dining room, library, bedrooms for Jenna and Barbara, as well as the President and First Lady, hot tub room, etc., etc.

Hope your first week of homeschool went well!

Betsy

Technoprairie said...

You need to get your own blog so we can see pictures of the White House!

I used regular yellow corn cobs so they came out a very pale yellow color. The children loved it and it does taste good.

My dh asked why did they used to make corn cob jelly? I told him that I thought they used to make corn cob jelly because they were too poor to buy berries or that they made corn cob jelly when the berry crop failed. Did the folks at that Historic Village tell you?

And yes, our first week went very well. Hope yours did as well.

Anonymous said...

well hm.

We don't watch TV ... although I guess we do watch videos. Maybe that's what's keeping me from having something clever to say.

we've had, um .... some spectacular light saber deaths. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I didn't ask the people at Sauder Village about the corn cob jelly, but my guess would be, our ancestors were extremely diligent about wasting NOTHING. At least, that's the version I'd like to believe. :-) I've read about pioneers making watermelon rind pickles, green tomato preserves, and "apple pies" out of green pumpkins. My dad often reminds me that corn cobs were used as t.p. in the outhouse when he was a boy. Personally, I'd rather go for the corn cob jelly!

Jeannette said...

It's great to see all that imagination and creativity in action. Our kids (with friends) used to have battles using Playmobile pieces, even into their high school years, that would consume most of a day.