Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Of Woods and Food

This past weekend was just gorgeous at Cold Feathers Farm. It was sunny and warm, but not too hot or too humid. My dh spent a great deal of the time working on making our trails level. He took a couple of high spots and filled in some low spots. It is a little hard to tell in this picture, but the trail is very level now. Can't wait to try it out during cross country season!

He even put in a culvert to help keep the trail dry.

While the guys were working in the woods, I roasted one of our chickens (looking very much like a turkey here) in our charcoal grill. It tasted very good. I had to look up directions for roasting turkeys since the directions for chickens weren't going to cut it.

I also made a great gazpacho with garlic croutons. It was delicious! I cut the vegetables by hand rather than use the food processor so it was nice and chunky.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, roasting a whole chicken, as big as a turkey, on the grill! I'm impressed! Was it a fresh chicken, or was it formerly frozen and then thawed? Pretty cool!

Is that with a dry rub, pre-roasting?

The gazpacho and trails look great! Good work!

Technoprairie said...

It was frozen and I thawed it using the cold water method. During the last hour of thawing, I threw in about a cup of salt and brined it as well. Then I made a spice rub of salt and lemon pepper and rubbed the chicken all over and under its skin. It turned out very juicy and nice. I should have thrown some of that applewood on the fire, but there is always next time.

I should make some gazpacho for our park days next year. It was delicious!