Sunday, January 01, 2012

Annual Tapas Night

Welcome to our annual Tapas Night!   We usually hold it on New Year's Day, but this year we decided to hold it on New Year's Eve.   My parents were visiting and enjoyed sharing in our New Year's tradition.   So without further ado...

Course 1:    Fried Gruyere Cheese with Bacon and Eggs with Black Olives made by Stephen.
 Vegetable Pate made by Deborah.
 All three dishes tasted good.   The Fried Gruyere was my favorite of this group, but the Vegetable Pate was a surprise hit.   We decided that we should do this in the spring with fresh asparagus.

Second Course:   Cumin Carrots made by Aaron.
 Garlic Shrimp made by Stephen.
The Cumin Carrots tasted very Mediterranean and were served cold.   The Garlic Shrimp was moist and fantastic.   Nathan did complain that it didn't taste garlicy enough.

Third Course - Potato, Tuna, and Vegetables in Puff Pastry made by Aaron. 
 Fried Garbanzo Beans with Onions made by Nathan.
 Aaron's puff pastry was a delicious way to serve the salad which was light and flavorful.   Even my mayo hating Nathan liked it.   Everyone but me liked the Garbanzo beans.   The onions had been cooked for a long while and really were quite mellow in the dish.   

Fourth Course - Potato and Banana Omelet made by Deborah.
 This was my biggest surprise.   I really liked it.   I was afraid that the sweet bananas wouldn't work, but they did.   We served it at room temperature but I think it would be even better served warm.   We used "baby bananas" and they were very sweet.

Fifth course - Veal Stew made by Nathan.
 Well, by now we were getting kinda full.  But this Veal Stew was so velvety smooth that everyone loved it.   I'm looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow!

Sixth Course - Sauteed Bread with Honey Syrup made by Deborah.
 This was Joe's favorite dish which surprised me because Joe isn't really a big dessert person.   But these were amazingly good.   Of course, dousing anything with homemade honey syrup would make it taste good.   They were like French toast but so creamy and custardy inside.

My Executive Chef, relaxing after a hard day and a half of work.  Well done!



2 comments:

7 Eagles said...

Wow...everything looked amazing! I'm thinking that your tapas cookbook must have a large amount of recipes, as I rarely see repeats here. Overall, what a fun way to ring in the New Year!

~ Betsy

Technoprairie said...

I actually have 4 Tapas cookbooks in my house!