Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gingerbread Camp

The boys and I entered a Gingerbread house contest last week. Nathan and I did most of the work. We made the gingerbread and then I made the lovely Royal Frosting that hardens into a rock. We also got our first experience working with fondant. That was sticky. I had to keep putting it back in the fridge to cool it down.

First the details. Here is Santa peeking out from behind a tree. And yes, I know that the trees, people, and tents are out of proportion. But I wasn't about to start over at this point!

Our lovely girl?boy? roasting a marshmellow. Deborah told me that no one would roast a marshmellow IN the fire but that was the only way to hold up the "flames" so that they looked right.

And now the final product! Ta Da! We got a second place ribbon in our category.

5 comments:

Jeannette said...

Good job! I love the look of the trees!

Technoprairie said...

They are sugar ice cream cones. I used the leaf tip on my frosting kit to put leaves all over it.

Diane said...

One of my secret pleasures is watching those cake shows. And I've been itching to use that fondant. What does it taste like?
Your camp was great!

Technoprairie said...

A little fondant goes a long way. Even the children didn't want to eat a lot. It tasted a lot like a very sugary marshmellow but with more of a sugar taste and less of a marshmellow taste.

It does make nice molded items if you can keep it cool enough.

Cammra_girl said...

That was sooo good! You are amazing!