Sunday, September 14, 2008

Garden report

Well, it is a rainy Sunday here and I don't have any canning to do and I'm waiting for the rain to stop to go pick any zucchinis or canteloupes that are ripe. So I thought I'd catch up on all the food pictures that I've taken. We've been having a lot of pasta primavera. Makes me hungry just looking at this picture.

We've also had some great watermelons. My dh is holding one of our Charleston Gray watermelons. They are an old fashioned type watermelon with seeds and a thick rind. I personally like them better than the seedless kind.


Looks pretty, doesn't it?

We've also been picking our French Orange canteloupe. They are small but oh so amazingly sweet.

And of course, I've been canning. Left to right, peach butter, tomatoes, and watermelon pickles.

Aaron's white eggplants finally grew long enough to harvest. We grew them from seed and we weren't sure if they would even produce anything before the first frost.

Aaron requested stuffed eggplant so I stuffed his white eggplant. The funny thing is that the white skins turned brown after cooking.

Yesterday I made salsa (on the left) and peach preserves (on the right). It was a long day. I had forgotten how long it takes to make salsa. It is a lot of chopping.

And we have more to come.

And more still. Good thing it's been a little cool and we don't want to use our picnic table for eating!



2 comments:

Mike Bailey said...

so how do you make your salsa?

Technoprairie said...

I cook together tomatoes, onions, green peppers, hot peppers, salt, cumin, vinegar, and sugar. I combine everything but the hot peppers and let it simmer. Then I add the hot peppers until it is at the hotness level that I want. I strain it and can it. It isn't as good or as crunchy as fresh salsa, but it tastes very good in February.