Sunday, September 28, 2008

Apple Day

Friday was Apple Day! We spent the whole day processing 2 bushels of apples. We started off the day filling my big electric cooker with apples for applesauce. Then the boys started to peel apples for apple pies.

We bought a mixed bag of apples and it contained many different kinds including this one that had red flesh. It was a very sweet apple.

The boys liked running the peeler and then eating and playing with the apple peels.

Nathan thought this looked so cool he wanted to take a picture of it.

Some of the apple slices I put in the freezer for future pies and some I put in my new dehydrator. My old one died on me and I bought a base and four more trays. So now I can have a tower of dried apples!

After lunch, we set the strainer up outside and Deborah ran it a little bit...

...but Nathan was my biggest help. He ran almost all the apples through the strainer for me.

At the end of the day: 27 qts of applesauce, 4 pies, one crock pot full of apple butter cooking, and a tower full of dried apples.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've looked at these photos before. But I thought I would let you know that we were at Tybee Island during the Pirate Festival. Unfortunately, we did not attend. However, we did eat at the historic Pirate House. Nora hated every minute of it! No amount of "aaarrrr"ing would cheer her up.