Sunday, January 09, 2011

6th Annual Tapas Night

This January 1st, we held our 6th Annual New Year's Day Tapas dinner.
The children and their dad worked all afternoon and part of the evening to prepare a 9 dinner gourmet Tapas meal.
So without further ado, the first course - Stephen's Olives in Lemon and Orange...
... and Nathan's Lime Drizzled Shrimp.
Next course - Baked Stuffed Onions. These were great and I liked them much better than stuffed green peppers.
They were served over rice and with a mushroom gravy poured over them.
Third course was Aaron's Cheese and Olive Empanadillas.
Fourth course: Aaron's Chorizo and Cheese Tortilla (which was really more like an omelette) and ...
... my dh's Green Beans with Pine Nuts.
Fifth course was Deborah's Ham Wrapped Potatoes ...
... and Stephen's Chicken in Lemon and Garlic.
Finally we finished off the meal at about 10 pm with Deborah's Powdered Sugar Cookies. These were very interesting. The cookies themselves were made with lard, dry white wine, and flour. Once they were cooked and cooled, they were coated in powdered sugar. It was like eating tasty and flaky pie crusts.

3 comments:

7 Eagles said...

Ahhh...my soul is satisfied, and my joy is complete. The Tapas post has appeared, and all is right with the world!:-)

Each year, your tapas become more and more intriguing and yummy-looking. Before long, your children will be kicking dh out of the kitchen and taking over the stove themselves!

Just curious...when/how did you both take such an interest in gourmet cooking in general? I don't believe I've ever known you to make a pb&j sandwich, although you could probably make something delectibly gourmet out of that...

~ Betsy

Technoprairie said...

PB&Js are for the park (mostly)!

I've always been interested in cooking ever since I was a little girl. I really enjoy trying to find the best recipe for something or improving the ones that I have made already.

We got the idea of doing gourmet meals about 20 years ago. My dh and a friend decided to surprise his wife and me with a REAL Italian meal. And they did! It was four or five courses and it took them all day to make it. We loved it and started doing it annually around Valentine's Day. One year the men would cook and the next the women would cook. We made Russian, Italian, Greek, Chinese, and French meals.

When they had a child and couldn't make gourmet meals anymore, we found another couple and did meals with them.

Then about 10 years ago, I started reading this column by a chemist who talked about the chemistry of food. That fascinated me. Then I got hooked on Cook's Illustrated. They not only give you a great recipe, they tell the story have how they figured it out!

So I've decided that cooking is more like my hobby. I still enjoy making dinner and planning meals and trying out new recipes, even after all these years and all these meals.

Anonymous said...

I figured you honed your gourmet food skills at Stratford House! (ha ha)

-Laurie