Thursday, April 09, 2009

Deb's birthday

Deborah got a three day birthday this year.   First was her real day down with Grandma and Grandpa and all the cousins.   Second was the day after we got back.   We didn't want to haul all the presents there and back so we gave her a couple on her real day and saved the rest for the Monday night party.  

Deborah designed this cake herself and did a lot of the decorating with the gumdrops.

She explained to me that the leaves on the flowers shouldn't exactly match since leaves in nature sometimes don't match.   She also put a flower petal down on the ground.   The green thing in the upper right corner is a kite.   I guess I have to work on my frosting kites a little better.

Deborah got her first Mars Mission Lego set and, as you can see, was thrilled by it.

Nathan found these rocks at an art fair last year and picked them out for her.   

Kirsten (Deb's daughter) got a new outfit and some shoes.   The poor thing had been going barefoot since Christmas.  What Grandma didn't know is that Deb had some shoes that were almost the same style!

And what was the third day?   Well, it was the next morning when we had our traditional chocolate chip pancakes.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Deb's cake design. And I think having her design her own cakes is a really neat idea. How do you get her to make it simple enough to reproduce with frosting? I'd be afraid my girls would come up with some complicated drawing I couldn't possibly reproduce.

~ Betsy

Technoprairie said...

I usually guide the conversation before anything gets written down on paper. So far my biggest challenge was Aaron's Death Star trench cake (Episdode 4).